Monday, August 11, 2008

Too Blessed to be Stressed or Too Stressed to be Blessed...which do you fall under?

Hey Y'all! It's me again with the latest topic I've been pondering... So, which category do you fall under? Are you too blessed to be stressed or are you too stressed to be blessed? To be completely honest, as of late, I've been falling under the latter category. I'm too stressed to see all the blessings God is bestowing upon me. For instance today, it felt that I had one million and one things to do (huge exaggeration). And instead of enjoying my "to do" list and taking my time, I stressed, got aggravated, and I grumbled and griped to my dearest friend (basically I was an angry chicken running around with it's head cut off). Scary picture if you ask me. And as I was leaving the last place on my list, the post office, I saw a lady cleaning the glass door wearing a t-shirt that bore the phrase "too blessed to be stressed". I smiled and complimented her t-shirt, told her "God bless you" and walked out the door to my car. As I walked to my car, I was thinking about that phrase and smiling to myself. I was admitting to God that I needed to do that. I needed to be "too blessed to be stressed". On that note, I somehow stumbled and tripped as I was stepping down off the curb. I twisted and landed on my ankle, and my hands landed on the hood of my car and kept me from falling on my face (as you can see, my middle name isn't Grace). After standing up, my ankle was in excruciating pain. I limped to the door of my car and got in (Just call me Gimpy, the 3 legged race horse). I sat a few minutes and caught my breath, checked my ankle to make sure it wasn't broken and thanked God that it wasn't my right ankle...ha ha! I worried that I might have broken it or sprained it, but I could move it and the pain subsided, and I figured that was a good sign. Now you would think I'd be even more aggravated, but as I drove home, I found myself chuckling at my lack of "grace". In fact I chuckling so much, that I had to call my dearest friend at work and relate the story to her. Praise the Lord for that.



So I got home, worked on a few projects, chatted online to my dearest friend, relaxed in a hot bubble bath, and I'm starting to unwind. And as I was doing that, this topic popped into my head. I need to "let go" and I need to "stop and smell the roses" more. Too often in this life we get caught up in the "not so important things" and neglect the "important things". Col. 3:2 states for us to "Set your mind on the things above, and not on the things that are on earth". 2 Cor. 4:18 tells us "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." Jesus tells us in Matt. 11:28-30 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Jer. 29:11 states "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a future and a hope." God tells us He directs our steps in Prov. 16:9 "The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." So in other words God is telling us not to "sweat the small stuff", that we are to seek refuge in Him, and that no matter what we plan for ourselves, HE IS IN CONTROL of our life and our path, WE ARE NOT. So it would be easier to cast our cares on Him because He is much better equipped to deal with our "problems" than we are. Have you ever noticed that when we try to control our life, we make a complete mess out of it? I have. So from now on, I'm going to try to be "too blessed to be stressed" instead of being "too stressed to be blessed". The first idea is so much comforting and relaxing than the latter. Until next time, FROG.....

No comments: